Barbie (2023)

 

I don't even really know where to begin, when a movie has this many layers and complexities it's hard to centre your thoughts. It took me a few hours to really appreciate everything I'd seen. I've always loved Greta Gerwig's direction and screenwriting from Ladybird to Little Women, I've felt moved and represented in her depiction of female rage and emotion. Most notably Saoirse Ronan's speech about women. This felt different though, it felt all encompassing, inclusive, accepting and softly critical. 

Firstly the set, use of colour, costume, hair and direction was simply stunning. We remember fondly playing with dolls and toys, the imaginary worlds we would create. There were no boundaries or rules, the scenarios we created lived inside colourful, wacky and limitless backdrops. This set felt like a perfect representation of a dreamland, such a powerful juxtaposition to the real world with its permanent vibrancy and magic essence. I really enjoyed Barbie-land as a female run world, with Barbies as president, the Supreme Court, lawyers, Nobel prize winners, doctors etc. Not because a Misandrist society is something I desire (although crime stats would be significantly lower) but because it was deeply refreshing to witness. I've never seen a world like this. Women, unapologetically powerful, driven, in charge. Without being sexualised, brutalised or harassed by male counterparts. A world where the men are the accessories, the afterthoughts. 

The connection to Barbies humans, the mother and daughter duo was so brilliantly done. The montage of Sasha growing out of her childhood, using her toys less, becoming colder with her mother and losing her innocence was unsettling mainly because I sat there with a lump in my throat, recalling my own journey. Remembering the transition into teen-hood, getting angry and brittle, losing that softness. Not caring about games and dolls and dress up and make belief. Getting short with my own mum, pushing her further away. It made me miss that innocence, the imagination I had and the chapter of my life where all I had to be was a little girl. I was happy, confident, 'bossy, creative and so full of love. 

The Barbie message that little girls can be anything is so interesting. In the movie before Barbie travels to the real world, this message is seen as her legacy. She really believes that upon meeting her humans they'll be so grateful to her for liberating them. She thinks the human world will mirror Barbie-land and that women will be occupying every field, in every aspect of the workplace, doing it all. When she finds out the reality of the human world, she feels crushed and embarrassed. Even though the initial message from Barbie was that you can be anything, as Sasha points out, that became a crushing expectation on young girls, living up to the standards of Barbie and her numerous careers, seemingly perfect body, perfect house etc. Instead of the majority of girls and women feeling empowered, we grew to feel ashamed and resentful and in turn took to comparing our life with that of a doll. 

One of the most profound aspects of this movie for me, was Barbie learning to feel and learning to be human. The crux of the movies definition of what it is to be human is emotion, to feel things deeply. From the first moment Barbie experiences crying and throughout her various states of emotion, we see the doll like composure slipping away. To be human is to weep and sob and laugh and love, to feel it all so deeply. When Barbie is forced to confront this and choose to be human, despite her hardships throughout the movie, despite her existential crisis, the knock to her confidence and lack of sense of self, she chooses to be human. Choice that was never previously given to her, is now offered on her terms. 

Glorias speech on the impossibilities of being a woman was deeply profound. Not because it was anything new or groundbreaking, it was textbook basic feminism. But to hear it delivered in such a way, so succinct and decisive, was special. For any critics saying the feminism wasn't intersectional, complex or deep enough remember that she is imparting these concepts onto a literal doll, who a few days before was simply existing as a Barbie and had no critical thinking skills. I also think there's nothing wrong with the level of feminism in this movie being seemingly basic or limited, this means the message is accessible and easier to digest to general audiences. The success of this movie, only a week into its release tells us that we won't be forgetting it any time soon. And so for that many people to have seen that monologue, felt that feminist message and possibly been impacted by it, is incredibly important. 

There are so many interesting plot lines that I picked up on. Kens story was interesting to consider against Barbies. Upon entering the human world Barbie is faced with a big undertaking, a mission full of emotion, depth, complexity and one that requires true self assessment. Whilst she embarks on this, Ken is absorbing what it feels like to live in a patriarchy, observing men in power and trying desperately to collect some of that power for himself. By scoping for jobs he's learning that the patriarchy exists to oppress women and uplift men, and he likes that. When he returns to Barbie-land (without Barbie might I add!) he decides to revolt and centre their world around Kens. He transforms their houses, Supreme Court, media all to become Ken/male centric systems. He even dictates new outfits for the Barbies to wear, teaches them to be subservient to the Kens and revels in describing the human world to them. Even though the Barbies put this back to normal and Barbie apologies, Ken never does. He doesn't apologise for ruining her house or transforming her world. Or demeaning her character and undermining her life. 

I loved that Barbie was asked what her ending was going to be, someone chimed in just assuming it was that she's in love with Ken and that would be an ending in itself. Barbie said I'm not in love with Ken. I found that really refreshing, to see her develop autonomy, power and control over not just herself but the situations she found herself in. To not be defined by romantic love or a relationship with a man, to not feel the need to conform to this and for her to be searching for meaning and enrichment elsewhere. 

In terms of comedy, this film had me cackling. The jokes were layered, punchy and original. Each and every actor nailed their role and understood where they worked in the story. Most importantly this movie made me so proud to be a woman. It made me confront my girlhood, it made me mourn it. It made me question my existence, my purpose. It made me think about the complexities of womanhood, the pressures, dangers and limitations. It made me step outside of myself, I felt comradery and compassion with my fellow women. It reminded me that art can touch you so deeply, but it can also make you laugh. It can be joyous and light and heavy and it can impact each person differently. There are so many more things that I could mention about this movie, over the coming days and months I know my brain will stay fixed on the themes and messages. It'll stay with me for a while but I'm so grateful to exist in a time in which powerful female directors can create such art that leaves me with this level of thought. That they can create a movie so intrinsically linked to the fabric of existing as a woman. I loved seeing people pack out the cinema in shades of pink and purple, in wacky outfits to appreciate this art. And most importantly....

I love being a woman. x


Things this movie has made me want to do:

  • Buy a barbie doll
  • Hug my mum
  • Dive deeper into my femininity 
  • Love my body
  • Keep reading, writing and learning about feminism 
  • Create movies on the female experience 
  • Go in a pink slide




Comments

Popular Posts